Great for a family meal, easy to put together and if necessary, one could prep all the ingredients the night before, then start some rice and cook it after work the next day. Loved the smooth and spicy peanut sauce. My major change, though: press that tofu by cutting it into rectangles, wrapping it in paper towels, then placing a big skillet on top. Also--saute the tofu separately (I use a cast iron griddle) and add to the stir-fried vegetables along with the sauce. I use a wok for the vegetables.
Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu with Snow Peas, Peanut Butter, and Mushrooms
One serving of this colorful and filling vegetarian entrée gives a boost to skin and hair with all the vitamin C and about 15 percent of a day's worth of folate and vitamin E. Serve over fortified white rice to add more folate to the nutritional profile.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 212
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 13.1g
- Carbohydrate: 21.5g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 639mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place tofu cubes on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu to pan; cook 7 minutes or until lightly browned, gently turning occasionally. Remove from pan; keep warm. Add snow peas, bell pepper, 1/4 cup water, onions, ginger, and garlic to pan; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup water, tamari, peanut butter, cornstarch, Sriracha, and salt in a small bowl; stir well. Add tamari mixture and tofu to pan; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu with Snow Peas, Peanut Butter, and Mushrooms Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This