- 2 pounds boneless top sirloin steak, cubed*
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 (15.5-oz.) cans black beans
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (4.5-oz.) cans chopped green chiles
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12-oz.) can beer
- 1 (3.625-oz.) package chili seasoning kit
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and avocado, sour cream, sliced green onions, chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make It
Sauté steak in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.
Place steak in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker; stir in black beans and next 6 ingredients. Stir in packets from chili kit, omitting masa and red pepper packets. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours. Serve with desired toppings.
*2 lb. ground round may be substituted. Omit oil. Brown ground round in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Proceed with recipe as directed. Hands-on time: 23 min.; Total time: 8 hr., 23 min.
Note: We tested with Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili Kit at one tasting and with 1 (4-oz.) package Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit at another.