Spicy Squash Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 171
- Calories from fat: 9.9%
- Protein: 6.5g
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Sodium: 390mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 large butternut squash (about 4 lbs. total), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 pounds banana squash, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 dried chipotle chile
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder or 1 large dried ancho chile (about 1/2 oz.), stemmed and whirled in a blender or food processor until finely ground
- 1 habanero chile, stemmed and seeded (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 medium zucchini (1/2 lb. total), ends trimmed, diced
- Two-Color Chile Garnish
- Sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place butternut and banana squash, cut side up, in a 12- by 17-in. roasting pan (or divide squash evenly between two 9- by 13-in. pans). Add boiling water to pan to a depth of 1/2 in.; cover tightly with foil. Bake until squash is very soft when pierced, about 1 hour. Remove squash from pan, drain briefly, and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 2. Meanwhile, place chipotle chile in a small bowl; add boiling water to cover. Let stand 5 minutes; drain.
- 3. Combine chipotle, broth, ancho chile powder, and habanero in a 5- to 6-qt. pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove chipotle and habanero chiles; discard.
- 4. Scrape cooked squash from rind. Whirl squash in batches in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Add squash purée and lime juice to broth mixture.
- 5. Add zucchini to soup and stir often over medium-high heat until soup simmers and zucchini are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes (20 minutes if reheating).
- 6. Ladle soup into 1 large bowl or individual serving bowls. Top decoratively with chile garnish and sour cream, or offer both to add to taste.
- Make ahead: Cover and chill up to 1 day.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews