- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 4 canned anchovy fillets, chopped (about 1/3 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- calories 52
- caloriesfromfat 43 %
- fat 2.5 g
- satfat 0.4 g
- monofat 1.7 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 1.4 g
- carbohydrate 7.3 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 1 mg
- iron 0.5 mg
- sodium 157 mg
- calcium 15 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Pierce eggplants several times with a fork; place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until blackened, turning frequently. Cool slightly; peel. Drain eggplant pulp in a colander for 5 minutes; chop.
Combine tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through ground red pepper) in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in eggplant, tomato paste mixture, bell peppers, and anchovies; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Spoon mixture into a medium bowl. Cover and chill.