Awesome recipe! I'm not a red pepper fan so I subbed with zucchini at the end with a quick saute so it wouldn't get limp - great choice! Also, add one more Tb of red curry paste, and a dash more of the chili oil (I bought the hot version) if you really like the spice. Tried Japanese buckwheat noodles in place of the Udon ones - great texture without being too thick. Left out the cilantro as per my own tastebud request, but the rest of the recipe was just amazing. Will definitely make again! :)
Spicy Shrimp with Udon Noodles
Spaghetti can be used in place of udon noodles, if desired. You can find red curry paste at Oriental markets; made primarily from chiles and very concentrated, it imparts a spicy, salty flavor all its own.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 372
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 31.3g
- Carbohydrate: 39.3g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Iron: 5.3mg
- Sodium: 470mg
- Calcium: 93mg
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (2 x 1/4-inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts (about 2 ounces)
- 6 cups cooked udon noodles (thick, round fresh Japanese wheat noodles) or spaghetti (about 8 ounces uncooked)
- Cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Starting at the tail end, butterfly each shrimp, cutting to, but not through, outside of shrimp. Set aside.
- Combine lime rind and next 5 ingredients (lime rind through chili oil); stir well. Combine 1/3 cup marinade with shrimp in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and marinate shrimp in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/3 cup marinade, bell pepper, and next 4 ingredients (bell pepper through noodles) in a large bowl, tossing to coat.
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add shrimp; sauté 5 minutes or until done. Combine shrimp with pasta mixture, and toss gently. Sprinkle each serving with nuts. Serve warm or chilled.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note