I used leftover salsa verde from another CL recipe, that is very simular to this one, which made prep time extra quick. Delicious, nice and spicy;-)
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
If you want to make the salsa a day ahead but don't want to fire up the grill, you can char the tomatillos over a gas cooktop burner. Use a pair of tongs to hold the tomatillo over the flame, turning the fruit occasionally to blacken its skin evenly. Use a grill basket, if you have one, to cook the shrimp instead of threading them on skewers. Serve with black beans, sour cream, and sliced cantaloupe.
Water tally: 7.8 ounces.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 252
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 26.9g
- Carbohydrate: 30.2g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 507mg
- Calcium: 125mg
- 1/2 pound tomatillos
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions (about 4 green onions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound medium peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1. Preheat grill.
- 2. To prepare salsa, remove husks and stems from tomatillos. Place tomatillos on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 10 minutes or until slightly blackened on each side, turning occasionally. Cool completely; coarsely chop. Place tomatillos, onions, and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 7 times or until coarsely chopped.
- 3. To prepare tacos, thread shrimp evenly on 6 (10-inch) skewers. Place skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 2 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning once. Remove shrimp from skewers, and place in a medium bowl. Add hot pepper sauce, chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat.
- 4. Heat the tortillas on the grill 1 minute on each side. Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup cabbage and 2 tablespoons carrot. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among the tortillas; top each with 2 tablespoons salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes