This was just ok. I made it exactly to the recipe except I omitted the jalapeno as part of the toppings. I've had better Asian-inspired soups from Cooking Light.
Spicy Shrimp and Rice Soup
Fine-tune the taste of this filling soup as you wish—intensify the flavor with cilantro, add heat with jalapeños, or provide a crisp bite with fresh bean sprouts. Serve with spiced baked wontons on the side.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 315
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 38.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.1g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 259mg
- Iron: 5.2mg
- Sodium: 644mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup instant long-grain rice (such as Minute brand)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 lime wedges
- Bean sprouts (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sliced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- Combine chicken broth and water in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir in instant long-grain rice, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, red pepper, and shrimp; sauté 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir shrimp mixture into broth mixture. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls, and serve with lime wedges. Top each serving with sprouts, onions, cilantro, and jalapeño, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note