Spicy Sausage Shepherd's Pie
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 8 Baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs) Peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 6 tablespoon(s) Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound(s) Hot Italian sausage Casings removed
- 1/2 head(s) Green cabbage Cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 3 clove(s) Garlic Thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) Jarred horseradish
- 1/2 bunch(es) Flat leaf parsley Chopped
- Preheat the broiler. In a pot, combine potatoes and enough salted water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes, drain. Mash in 1/2 cup chicken broth and the cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large, ovenproof skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up, until browned, 5-7 minutes; unsung a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl. Add the cabbage, onion and garlic to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and the horseradish. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked sausage and the parsley, reserving 1 teaspoon for sprinkling.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes onto the sausage mixture and broil until the potatoes are golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved parsley.
- Swap ground turkey for the sausage for a lighter twist-sauté with finely chopped garlic and crushed red pepper for added flavor and heat.
- Assemble individual servings in ovenproof bowls.
- Chop any leftover veggies from the fridge and sauté with the cabbage.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dswartzel and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spicy Sausage Shepherd's Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes