Spicy Rice Balls
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 29
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 2.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 70mg
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- 1/2 cup short-grain, sweet, or sticky rice
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- One 1-in. piece ginger, peeled and finely shredded (about 1 tbsp.)
- 1 bird's eye or serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1. In a medium bowl, soak rice in 2 cups water for 2 hours. Drain; put on a plate.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine pork, egg, soy sauce, sugar, green onions, ginger, and chile. Cover and chill until rice is ready.
- 3. Divide pork mixture into 32 pieces. Roll into balls, then roll balls in rice. Put balls in parchment-lined steamers (see â€œHow to Steam Dim Sum,â€� below). Cook until rice is tender and pork is cooked, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- How to Steam Dim Sum: Measure your steamer basket and choose a pot with a diameter at least 2 in. wider. To keep dumplings from sticking, cut a circle of parchment paper 1 in. smaller in diameter than the basket (so steam can flow up around the edges) and fit it in. Pour enough water into pot to come 1 in. up side and bring to a boil over high heat. Fill basket with dim sum first, then set it in the pot. Cover and cook, adding hot water as needed.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per ball.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spicy Rice Balls Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers