Spicy Red Beans and Rice
- 2 pounds dried red kidney beans
- 5 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 pound salt pork, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Place kidney beans in a Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans, and let soak 8 hours. Drain beans; rinse thoroughly, and drain again.
- Sauté bacon in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add smoked sausage and salt pork; sauté 5 minutes or until sausage is golden brown. Add garlic and next 3 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in beans, broth, 2 cups water, and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 hours or until beans are tender. Remove salt pork before serving. Serve over rice
- Note: For quick soaking, place kidney beans in a Dutch oven; cover with water 2 inches above beans, and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and proceed with recipe.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This