Spicy Quinoa with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 and 3/4 cup(s) quinoa
- 3 cup(s) low-sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1/2 whole(s) red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 whole(s) red jalepeno, small, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 whole(s) sweet potatoes, small, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup(s) cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) freshly squeezed lime juice
- Put the quinoa in a bowl and cover with water; drain. Repeat twice; drain well. (This will help remove bitterness.) Transfer the quinoa to a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until the quinoa is dry, about 8 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 3/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, then cover the pan, leaving the lid slightly ajar to let steam escape; reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red onionand garlic and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the chile powder, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring, until the spices darken, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, the jalapeno, sweet potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the quinoa, then add the cilantro and lime juice and toss; season with salt.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by morrison94114 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note