- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (29-oz.) can pumpkin
- 6 -6 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
How to Make It
Place onions, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat; cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until translucent. Stir in garlic and cumin; cook 2 minutes. Whisk in pumpkin and 6 cups broth; add chipotle pepper and 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce. Increase heat to medium-high, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 12 minutes.
Process soup, in batches, in a food processor or blender 1 minute. Add up to 1/2 cup broth, 2 Tbsp. at a time, to reach desired consistency.
Process avocado, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a blender until smooth. Add up to 1/4 cup water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, to reach desired consistency.
Cook smoked sausage in remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in black beans and paprika, and cook 1 minute. Ladle soup into serving bowls; top with sausage mixture and avocado cream.