Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Community Recipe from
- 4 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) garlic minced
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1 pinch(s) ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 cup(s) roasted pumpkin *
- 5 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- *To make pumpkin purée, cut a sugar pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, lie face down on a tin-foil lined baking pan. Bake at 350°F until soft, about 45 min to an hour. Cool, scoop out the flesh. Freeze whatever you don't use for future use.
- **If cooking gluten-free, use gluten-free broth.
- 1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
- 2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
- 4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
- Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Yield: Serves 8.
- Source: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_pumpkin_soup/
This recipe is a personal recipe added by yoolia and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes