Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) garlic minced
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1 pinch(s) ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 cup(s) roasted pumpkin *
- 5 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- *To make pumpkin purée, cut a sugar pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, lie face down on a tin-foil lined baking pan. Bake at 350°F until soft, about 45 min to an hour. Cool, scoop out the flesh. Freeze whatever you don't use for future use.
- **If cooking gluten-free, use gluten-free broth.
- 1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
- 2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
- 4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
- Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Yield: Serves 8.
- Source: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_pumpkin_soup/
This recipe is a personal recipe added by yoolia and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note