Spicy Pork Roast
The brown sugar is necessary in the rub to balance out the pungency of the spices.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 3 ounces)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 211
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 22.9g
- Carbohydrate: 1.4g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 162mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (3-pound) lean boneless pork loin roast
- 4 (3-inch) chunks mesquite wood
- 6 (12-ounce) cans beer or 9 cups hot water
- 1. Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add first 4 ingredients; sauté 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat; cool completely. Place mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until ground.
- 2. Combine ground spices, brown sugar, and next 5 ingredients. Trim fat from roast; rub spice mixture over roast. Place roast in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours.
- 3. Soak mesquite chunks in water 30 minutes to 1 hour. Drain well.
- 4. Prepare charcoal fire in meat smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes or until center coals are covered with gray ash. Place soaked mesquite wood chunks on top of coals. Place water pan in smoker; add beer or hot water to pan to within 1 inch of rim. Place roast on rack in smoker. Cover with lid; cook 4 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 155°. Refill water pan with water; add charcoal to fire as needed. Remove roast from smoker. Cover; let stand 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 160°.
- carbo rating: 1
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes