- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (3-pound) lean boneless pork loin roast
- 4 (3-inch) chunks mesquite wood
- 6 (12-ounce) cans beer or 9 cups hot water
- calories 211
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 11.9 g
- satfat 4.1 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 22.9 g
- carbohydrate 1.4 g
- fiber 0.3 g
- cholesterol 77 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 162 mg
- calcium 14 mg
How to Make It
Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add first 4 ingredients; sauté 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat; cool completely. Place mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until ground.
Combine ground spices, brown sugar, and next 5 ingredients. Trim fat from roast; rub spice mixture over roast. Place roast in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours.
Soak mesquite chunks in water 30 minutes to 1 hour. Drain well.
Prepare charcoal fire in meat smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes or until center coals are covered with gray ash. Place soaked mesquite wood chunks on top of coals. Place water pan in smoker; add beer or hot water to pan to within 1 inch of rim. Place roast on rack in smoker. Cover with lid; cook 4 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 155°. Refill water pan with water; add charcoal to fire as needed. Remove roast from smoker. Cover; let stand 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 160°.
carbo rating: 1