Spicy, Crunchy Pickled Green Beans with Lemon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 5.4
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Protein: 0.2g
- Fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 1.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 73mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 pound very fresh green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 small dried red chiles, such as Thai or arbol
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 3-in.-long piece kombu (dried kelp)*
- 1 lemon, ends removed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/3-in.-thick slices, seeds removed
- 1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and blanch green beans until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and put in a large heatproof bowl.
- 2. Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in another medium pot with vinegar, sugar, salt, chiles, peppercorns, and kombu. As soon as liquid boils, pour over beans and add lemon. Let cool to room temperature. Slit 3 of the chiles to let seeds spill into liquid. Chill, covered, overnight to let flavors develop. Serve cold. Keeps, chilled, up to 1 week.
- *Find in grocery stores' Asian foods aisle.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spicy, Crunchy Pickled Green Beans with Lemon Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments