These are time-consuming to make but very good. Guys really liked them.
Spicy Peppercorn and Pecorino Breadsticks
Photography: Becky-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 99
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 15.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 228mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons ground semolina
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add 1/2 cup flour to yeast mixture, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 30 minutes. Add remaining 3 cups flour, olive oil, black pepper, salt, and red pepper; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); cover and let rest 10 minutes. Knead in half of cheese; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Knead in remaining cheese.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down. Roll dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon semolina onto each of 2 baking sheets. Cut dough in half lengthwise to form 2 (12 x 4-inch) rectangles. Cut each rectangle crosswise into 12 (1-inch-wide) strips. Working with 1 strip at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), gently roll each strip into a 15-inch-long rope. Place rope on prepared pan, and repeat procedure with remaining strips, placing 12 on each pan. Cover and let dough rise 20 minutes.
- Uncover dough; bake each pan at 450° for 12 minutes. Remove breadsticks from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spicy Peppercorn and Pecorino Breadsticks Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breads