Spicy Pecan-Cornbread Stuffing
This recipe goes with Cornish Hens with Spicy Pecan-Cornbread Stuffing
Yield: Makes 8 cups
- 10 bacon slices
- 1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups Spicy Pecans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 3 to 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cook bacon in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Keep skillet warm. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together broth, 2 eggs, and butter; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Pour mixture into hot skillet with drippings.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until golden around edges. Crumble cornbread onto a baking sheet; reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer cornbread to a large bowl, and stir in crumbled bacon and Spicy Pecans.
- Sauté diced onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add diced celery, chopped bell pepper, and diced mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes; stir in thyme and sage. Stir vegetable mixture into cornbread mixture; stir in lightly beaten eggs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables