Spicy Okra Fries
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Stylist: Caroline M. Cunningham
Take fried okra to the next level.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- Vegetable oil
- 2 pounds medium okra, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- Ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Yogurt Sauce
- 1. Dice tomatoes. Stir together lime juice and next 2 ingredients until blended.
- 2. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry okra, in batches, 7 to 10 minutes or until crispy and deep golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Toss together shallots, next 2 ingredients, okra, tomatoes, 3 Tbsp. lime juice mixture, and red pepper to taste in a large bowl. Sprinkle with mint and cilantro. Serve with Yogurt Sauce and remaining lime juice mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This