Spicy Okra Fries
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Stylist: Caroline M. Cunningham
Take fried okra to the next level.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- Vegetable oil
- 2 pounds medium okra, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- Ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Yogurt Sauce
- 1. Dice tomatoes. Stir together lime juice and next 2 ingredients until blended.
- 2. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry okra, in batches, 7 to 10 minutes or until crispy and deep golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Toss together shallots, next 2 ingredients, okra, tomatoes, 3 Tbsp. lime juice mixture, and red pepper to taste in a large bowl. Sprinkle with mint and cilantro. Serve with Yogurt Sauce and remaining lime juice mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note