This was good. I had the ingredients for the harissa in the pantry and a tenderloin in the freezer so I was good to go with no shopping. Quick enough for a weeknight and even quicker if you make the harissa ahead of time. (I did not make the yogurt sauce because I would have been the only one in the house who ate it.) I paired the tenderloin with Moroccan-spiced carrots (roasted with cumin, cinnamon and lemon wedges) and couscous with toasted pine nuts and herbs. It made for a pleasing plate and a satisfying meal.
Spicy North African Pork Tenderloin
Photo: Nina Choi
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 3 pork slices and 3 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 283
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 8.2g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 446mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 1/4 cup bottled roasted red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1. Place bell pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons juice, sambal oelek, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, coriander, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. Place harissa in a large bowl.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 3. Combine yogurt, mint, 1 tablespoon juice, and 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle pork with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add pork to pan; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add pork to harissa, turning to coat. Place pork on a rack in a pan; brush with remaining harissa. Bake at 425° for 11 minutes or until a thermometer registers 145°. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes; cut crosswise into 12 slices. Serve with yogurt sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes