Spicy Mung Bean Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) Mung Beans
- 1 cup dried mung beans, washed and rinsed
- 5 cups cold water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 or 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- a 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 or 3 serrano peppers, very thinly sliced (do not remove the seeds)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 medium or 1 large chicken breast (optional)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- Place the mung beans in a pot with the 5 cups of cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook until beans are tender. (Do not boil. I cannot stress this enough. Just a gentle simmer. The recipe says to cook the beans for about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the turmeric, cumin, curry powder, and garam masala and set aside.
- Then in a large soup pot, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until soft. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic, tomatoes, and the ginger. Saute for a minute or so.
- Add the combined spices and the sliced serrano pepper and saute for another minute. Next add the beans and their cooking liquid to the pot with the vegetables and spices. Add the coconut milk and the chicken breast, if using. You might need to add another cup ot two of water, if the soup seems a little thick. Simmer the soup uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken breast from the soup and let cool for a little bit before shredding. Add the chicken back to the soup.
- Stir in the cilantro, season with salt and pepper and serve with a wedge of lemon.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by aldagl and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spicy Mung Bean Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews