Spicy Jerk Chicken
Yield: serves 4 (serving size: 2 chicken thighs, 1 1/3 cups rice mixture, and 1 tablespoon sauce)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 468
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 37.3g
- Carbohydrate: 63.1g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 731mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered (about 1/2 pound)
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned (about 3 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce, optional
- 4 lime wedges
- Combine first 5 ingredients (thyme through chiles) in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Remove 1/4 cup of the chile mixture and set aside. Add lime juice to food processor; process until smooth.
- Arrange chicken in a large shallow dish. Spread lime juice mixture over chicken. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 4 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 15 minutes on each side or until done.
- While chicken broils, prepare rice mixture. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add reserved 1/4 cup chile mixture; saute 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in sweet potato; cook 10 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Drizzle with Pickapeppa sauce, if desired. Garnish with lime wedges.
- Note: Made from cane vinegar aged in oak barrels, Pickapeppa sauce is a sweet and sour, mild hot-pepper sauce from Jamaica.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note