- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered (about 1/2 pound)
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned (about 3 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce, optional
- 4 lime wedges
- calories 468
- caloriesfromfat 15 %
- fat 8.1 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 37.3 g
- carbohydrate 63.1 g
- fiber 8.1 g
- cholesterol 121 mg
- iron 3.9 mg
- sodium 731 mg
- calcium 96 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients (thyme through chiles) in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Remove 1/4 cup of the chile mixture and set aside. Add lime juice to food processor; process until smooth.
Arrange chicken in a large shallow dish. Spread lime juice mixture over chicken. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 4 hours.
Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 15 minutes on each side or until done.
While chicken broils, prepare rice mixture. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add reserved 1/4 cup chile mixture; saute 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in sweet potato; cook 10 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Drizzle with Pickapeppa sauce, if desired. Garnish with lime wedges.
Note: Made from cane vinegar aged in oak barrels, Pickapeppa sauce is a sweet and sour, mild hot-pepper sauce from Jamaica.