Fourth year in a row I have made these for dinner parties and for gifts. Love 'em. This year I did a number of batches. Tired the fresh herb route and also dried. Frankly, prefer dried to fresh. And, to make things even simpler, I just use pre-mixed Herbs de Provence. I double the cayenne amount, btw. Always a hit. Serve 'em warm.
Spicy Herb Roasted Nuts
This roasted nut recipe is perfect for the holidays as it features herbs traditionally used at Thanksgiving and Christmas, such as sage, thyme, and savory.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 79%
- Protein: 4.2g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 77mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/2 cups almonds
- 1 1/2 cups walnut halves
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh savory leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- About 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Mix almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, maple syrup, cayenne, oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, savory, marjoram, and oil in a 10- by 15-inch rimmed pan. Sprinkle nuts with 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2. Bake in a 300° oven, stirring occasionally, until all liquid evaporates and nuts are golden under the skin (break open to test), about 45 minutes.
- 3. Let cool. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Nutritional analysis per 1/4 cup.
In lieu of fresh herbs, use dried ones (1/2 teaspoon of each). Store cool nuts airtight up to 3 days at room temperature or 1 month in the freezer.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note