Spicy Hard-cooked Eggs
Leftover Easter eggs become a quick and satisfying meal, good with rice. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: Garam masala, an Indian spice blend, is available in the spice section of well-stocked grocery stores and at South Asian markets. To hard-cook eggs: Put 6 eggs in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water by 1 in. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit 14 minutes. Transfer eggs to an ice bath and let cool at least 10 minutes. When ready to peel, dip in hot water for 10 seconds to loosen shell. Remove and discard shell.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 242
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 568mg
- Cholesterol: 321mg
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- One 2-in. piece ginger, peeled and finely shredded into a mush
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 can (15 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see Notes)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1. In a 6-qt. pot over medium-high heat, cook onion with oil and 1/2 tsp. salt until onion is soft, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to brown around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add garlic, ginger, green onions, and jalapeño. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-high and stir in yogurt. Add tomatoes and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Cook until flavors blend and sauce thickens a bit, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in garam masala and add salt to taste. Set eggs, cut side up, on sauce. Spoon a bit of sauce over each egg and cook without stirring until hot, about 2 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note