- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- One 2-in. piece ginger, peeled and finely shredded into a mush
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 can (15 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (see Notes)
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- calories 242
- caloriesfromfat 52 %
- protein 12 g
- fat 16 g
- satfat 3.7 g
- carbohydrate 14 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- sodium 568 mg
- cholesterol 321 mg
How to Make It
In a 6-qt. pot over medium-high heat, cook onion with oil and 1/2 tsp. salt until onion is soft, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to brown around the edges, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, green onions, and jalapeño. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-high and stir in yogurt. Add tomatoes and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Cook until flavors blend and sauce thickens a bit, about 10 minutes.
Stir in garam masala and add salt to taste. Set eggs, cut side up, on sauce. Spoon a bit of sauce over each egg and cook without stirring until hot, about 2 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro if you like.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.