Served this for family brunch...hit with everyone...so much so, it has been requested again for brunch next week. I did use skim milk in the sauce to lower the fat even more and it was still fantastic! Served with cheesy potato casserole from cooking light.
Spicy Ham-and-Eggs Benedict With Chive Biscuits
Prep: 15 min., Bake: 25 min., Cook: 15 min.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 4 frozen biscuits
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1 (0.9-oz.) envelope hollandaise sauce mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chopped lean ham
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- Pepper to taste
- 1. Bake biscuits according to package directions. Combine melted butter and 1 Tbsp. chives; split biscuits, and brush with butter mixture. Place biscuits, buttered sides up, on a baking sheet, and bake at 375° for 5 minutes or until toasted.
- 2. Prepare hollandaise sauce mix according to package directions, using 1 cup milk and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and omitting butter.
- 3. Cook ham, stirring occasionally, in a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Stir ham and ground red pepper into hollandaise sauce; keep warm.
- 4. Add water to a depth of 2 inches in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and maintain at a light simmer. Add 1/2 tsp. white vinegar. Break eggs, and slip into water, 1 at a time, as close as possible to surface of water. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Remove with a slotted spoon. Trim edges, if desired.
- 5. Place bottom biscuit halves, buttered sides up, on each of 4 individual serving plates. Top with arugula, avocado, and poached eggs. Spoon hollandaise sauce evenly on top of each egg. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. chives and pepper to taste. Top with remaining biscuit halves, and serve immediately.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used frozen White Lily Southern Style Biscuits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note