Spicy Green Beans with Bacon and Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound smoky slab bacon, sliced 1/3 inch thick and cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- One 35-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate. Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and cook, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the green beans and crushed red pepper and cook, tossing, until the beans are coated with fat and just beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaves and crisp bacon, season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover partially and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a large bowl. Boil the cooking liquid over high heat until reduced by half, 15 minutes. Return the beans to the casserole and heat through. Transfer to a bowl; discard the bay leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Make Ahead: The green beans can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables