I followed the recipe precisely, and really wanted to like the finished product. My husband loved it; I thought it was rather dull in flavor -- I had expected the heavy presence of oranges to impart a much brighter taste to the dish. I doubt I'll be making this one again.
Spicy Ginger-and-Orange Chicken with Broccoli
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 365
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 45g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 666mg
- Calcium: 123mg
- 4 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 large oranges, peeled, sectioned, and coarsely chopped
- Place chicken and soy sauce in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Cover or seal, and chill 15 minutes.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water 3 minutes; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. Set aside.
- Drain chicken, reserving soy sauce; dredge chicken slices in cornstarch.
- Brown chicken, in batches, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 1 minute on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet, reserving drippings in skillet; keep chicken warm.
- Add reserved soy sauce, onion, and next 5 ingredients to reserved drippings in skillet; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken broth and marmalade, stirring until marmalade is melted. Return chicken to skillet. Bring to a boil; stir in broccoli and orange sections, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes