Spicy Eggplant Parmesan
Serve over whole wheat spaghetti or steamed spaghetti squash.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 203
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 13.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 780mg
- Calcium: 256mg
- 3/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (1 1/3-pound) eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 (26-ounce) jar light tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place a baking sheet inside oven, and preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic in a shallow dish. Combine egg whites and egg in a separate shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices in egg; dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- 3. Remove pan from oven; coat with cooking spray. Arrange eggplant on pan; coat with cooking spray.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 17 minutes or until golden.
- 5. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- 6. Combine pasta sauce and crushed red pepper, and spread 1/2 cup evenly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange eggplant slices over pasta sauce. Spread remaining pasta sauce evenly over eggplant; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and mozzarella.
- 7. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note