Spicy Curried Fried Chicken
The wings cook more quickly than larger pieces, so we recommend that you cook them first. While we normally fry at 375°, this recipe requires a lower temperature to keep the chicken from overbrowning.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 3 Hours
Stand: 30 Minutes
Fry: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- 1 (3 1/2-lb.) cut-up whole chicken
- Spicy Yogurt Marinade
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Canola oil
- Minted Mango Dipping Sauce
- 1. Place chicken in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish; pour Spicy Yogurt Marinade over chicken, turning to coat. Cover and chill at least 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- 2. Remove chicken from marinade, and place on a wire rack on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet; let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir together baking mix and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; toss chicken in mixture until coated, shaking off excess. Repeat coating process. Return chicken to rack; let stand 15 minutes.
- 4. Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a large, heavy skillet; heat to 350°. (Temperature will reduce as chicken is added. For best results, keep temperature between 300° and 325°.) Fry wings 6 minutes; turn and cook 6 more minutes. Remove wings to a rack on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Keep warm in a 200° oven. Fry remaining chicken, 2 pieces at a time, skin sides down, 6 minutes; turn and cook 6 more minutes. Turn pieces; cover and cook 6 minutes or until done, turning during the last 3 minutes for even browning, if necessary. (Chicken pieces will be very dark.) Remove to wire rack; let stand 5 minutes. Serve with Minted Mango Dipping Sauce.
- Spicy Curried Fried Shrimp: Substitute 2 lb. peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp for chicken; proceed as directed. Fry shrimp, in batches, at 350° for 3 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note