I've made this recipe many times, and it always turns out great. It's an excellent salad to pair with "Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut-Curry Sauce".
Spicy Cucumber Salad with Peanuts
Try this Thai-inspired salad with chicken or fish. The sugar in the dressing balances the heat of the red pepper. Salting the cucumber slices draws out some of the moisture, so they're especially crisp in the salad.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 76
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 14.6g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 247mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- 1 1/2 pounds cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 1 hour. Place cucumber slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Rinse and pat dry.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove vinegar reduction from heat; cool. Stir in onion. Combine cucumbers and vinegar reduction in a medium bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note