This is outstanding! I did make some of the changes others did: chicken broth for the water and fat free half and half. Delicious! Our family thinks it is the best soup ever! Great for company.
Spicy Corn and Crab Chowder
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
Claw meat tends to be slightly darker than pristine lump crab, but it lends a robust flavor to the chowder. Serve with corn muffins. Purchase a boxed corn muffin mix for maximum efficiency.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 3/4 cups)
Cost per Serving: $2.41
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 22.2g
- Carbohydrate: 47.6g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 233mg
- 1 medium poblano chile
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 (8-ounce) container crab claw meat, shell pieces removed
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Place poblano on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 8 minutes on each side or until blackened. Place pepper in a small zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and chop.
- 3. Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients (through red pepper) to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn; sauté 2 minutes. Remove 3/4 cup corn mixture from pan. Combine 3/4 cup corn mixture and 3/4 cup half-and-half in a blender; process until smooth. Add potato to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes or until potato is almost tender. Reduce heat to medium.
- 4. Combine remaining 1/4 cup half-and-half and flour in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to pan. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return corn puree to pan. Stir in poblano, milk, and crab; bring to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews