chipotle...awesome! tested it on a piece of baby swiss cheese and it was a hit! Very easy to make.
Spicy Chipotle Mustard
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
- 1/3 cup Colman's dry mustard
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo, plus 2 tbsp. adobo sauce from can, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1. Stir together dry mustard, vinegar, and 1/4 cup water in a medium metal bowl until smooth. Stir in minced chipotle chile (leave sauce behind). Chill, covered, overnight.
- 2. Bring a medium saucepan filled with 1 inch of water to a simmer. To bowl of mustard mixture, add egg, salt, and cornstarch and whisk to blend. Set bowl over simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until just thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in adobo sauce.
- Make ahead: 2 weeks, covered and chilled.
- Custom Mustard
- Your imagination's the limit when it comes to making flavored mustard. All you need are mustard seeds or dry mustard powder, and then the seasonings are up to you.
- Mustard seeds or mustard powder?
- Either works.
- Mustard seeds: Use when you want a whole-grain, crunchy texture. The three types are yellow, aka white (Sinapis alba), the mildest and used mainly in American-style mustards and for pickling; brown (Brassica juncea), zestier and used in European-style mustards (like Dijon), for pickling, and in Indian cooking; and black (B. nigra), also used in Indian food; they're interchangeable with the brown. Seeds need to soften in liquid for 1 to 2 days before you make mustard with them.
- Mustard powder: For silky smooth mustard. It's nothing more than ground mustard seed, and the most common brand is Colman's, a blend of white and brown seeds. Mix the powder with liquid (like water or beer) and let it sit overnight to fully hydrate and develop flavor. Don't let it sit longer, though, or it will taste harsh.
Total time does not include overnight chill time.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This