Hot and a bit crisp, these quick little snacks are good with almost any drink. Serve them right away; time is not their friend, and they are best when still warm from the oil.
Sunset JANUARY 2008
1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Spread in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and pat dry.
2. In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring 2 in. oil to between 350° and 375° (use a candy thermometer to test the temperature, or simply drop a chickpea in: When it sizzles, the oil is ready).
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine salt, pepper, chipotle powder, coriander, and cayenne. Set aside.
4. With a large spoon or strainer, lower chickpeas into oil. They will bubble vigorously, so be careful (wearing long sleeves will help protect your arms from spatters). Cook until bubbling calms down and chickpeas are hot and crispy (test one for doneness), about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon or strainer, transfer chickpeas to several layers of paper towels and drain 1 minute.
5. Toss chickpeas with spice mixture. Serve immediately.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Go to full version of