- Chickpea patties
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea (garbanzo) flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Spicy lemon mayo
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Finely shredded zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Carrot slaw
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded carrots (2/3 lb.)
- 1 cup shredded radishes
- Cooking and assembly
- 6 ciabatta or pane francese rolls (3 oz. each)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 ounces salad mix (5 cups lightly packed)
- calories 655
- caloriesfromfat 65 %
- protein 14 g
- fat 47 g
- satfat 5.5 g
- carbohydrate 62 g
- fiber 6.9 g
- sodium 1035 mg
- cholesterol 22 mg
How to Make It
Make chickpea patties: In a 3- to 4-qt. pan, mix chickpea flour and dry seasonings. Gradually whisk in 2 1/2 cups water until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking often, until mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes. Switch to a spoon and stir until mixture pulls away from pan bottom and mounds in center of pan, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in parsley. Using an oiled spoon or fingers, evenly spread mixture in an oiled 9- by 13-in. pan. Let cool.
Make mayo: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Chill, covered.
Make slaw: Whisk together vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, then gently stir in carrots and radishes.
Now for the sandwiches! Preheat broiler and set a rack 4 in. from heat. Split rolls, leaving one side attached, and open up. Place rolls cut side up in a large rimmed baking pan; lightly brush tops with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Broil until golden, about 1 minute. Tip onto counter and drape with foil.
Oil the baking pan. Brush chickpea mixture with 1 tbsp. olive oil; sprinkle with salt. Cut into 12 rectangles and set slightly apart in oiled pan. Broil until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn patties over and broil until golden on second side, about 2 minutes.
To assemble, generously spread mayo on cut sides of rolls. Place some salad greens on one side of each roll and top with some carrot slaw, then 2 chickpea patties.
*Find in the baking aisle of well-stocked grocery stores and at health food stores.
Make ahead: Wrap and chill uncooked chickpea mixture and mayo up to 1 day.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.