This was surprisingly tasty and a great casserole for warmer weather. I basically made it as written except that I used full fat cheddar, smoked paprika instead of regular and a 1/2 cup of medium salsa. Also, I chopped the poblanos and mixed them in with everything else. I served it with sour cream, a little salsa on the side and some guacamole because I had an avocado I needed to use. This will definitely go into my regular rotation.
Spicy Chicken with Poblano Peppers and Cheese
This healthy Mexican-style chicken casserole features chopped cooked chicken, poblano chiles, zucchini, corn, bottled salsa, and crushed tortilla chips and is a great choice for weeknight dinners.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 331
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 32.4g
- Carbohydrate: 25.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 688mg
- Calcium: 256mg
- 4 poblano chiles, halved and seeded
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup bottled salsa
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup crushed baked tortilla chips, divided
- Preheat broiler.
- Place poblano chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, and flatten with hand. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Place peppers in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and discard skins.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Combine chicken and next 11 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir in salsa, stirring until well combined.
- Place poblano peppers, cut sides up, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top evenly with 1/4 cup chips. Spoon the chicken mixture evenly over chips; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup chips. Lightly coat chips with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until cheese melts and casserole is heated through.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes