- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) whole chicken
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 fresh basil sprig
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Tomato Rice
- Toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, minced jalapeño pepper, coarsely chopped tomato, chopped avocado
How to Make It
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large stockpot; bring to a boil, skimming surface to remove excess foam.
Process whole cloves, garlic, and oregano in a food processor until finely chopped.
Add garlic mixture to broth, and cook, stirring occasionally, 35 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from broth, and cool. Skim fat from broth, and set broth aside.
Skin and bone chicken; shred chicken, and set aside.
Add zucchini and next 4 ingredients to broth; bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes. Add chicken. Serve with Tomato Rice and desired toppings.