This was a very good recipe. I cubed and browned the chicken instead of shredding it, but made no other changes. Very simple and hearty.
Spicy Chicken Stew
Salsa and chili powder add spice to this chicken stew, but probably not too much for timid tasters or kids. If you want to kick up the heat, use a hot salsa and a dash of hot sauce or ground red pepper.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 403
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 35g
- Carbohydrate: 55.5g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 643mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 ounces)
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 4 (6-inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1. Place first 6 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Stir in salsa and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). Place chicken on top of vegetables, and add broth. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- 2. Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir tortilla strips into stew. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews