This is a fantastic recipe. I just use a pound of whatever chicken I have on hand, and I don't use tortillas in the crockpot. I serve the chicken stew with a handful of tortilla chips or Fritos, and it is excellent. It also doesn't have to be precise to work... you can improvise and substitute as you wish. I've used Tabasco instead of chile powder, which also works well.
Spicy Chicken Stew
Salsa and chili powder add spice to this chicken stew, but probably not too much for timid tasters or kids. If you want to kick up the heat, use a hot salsa and a dash of hot sauce or ground red pepper.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 1101mg
- 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen sweet corn
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12.5 oz.) jar salsa
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, halved (about 1 lb.)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 oz.)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 (6 inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Place potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Stir in salsa, salt, cumin, chile powder and pepper. Distribute chicken evenly on top of vegetables and pour chicken broth over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook stew on high for 4 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with two forks into bite-size chunks; return to slow cooker. Mix tortilla strips into stew. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews