This is consistently one of my go-to recipes! Even my picky daughter loves it. I've prepared it exactly as written with great results---well, minus the strips of tortillas. We leave those out. I've also tweaked on occasion to reflect the ingredients I had on hand(or didn't have on hand!). I've doubled it and used a bag of diced frozen potatoes(hash brown) in lieu of the potatoes. And I've made it with a can of petite diced tomatoes when I didn't have salsa----just added taco seasoning or extra garlic and cumin. I've also used canned corn (added toward the end of cooking time) when I didn't have frozen corn. Love that I can just dump ingredients in and leave it. I also love how tender my chicken comes out(sometimes I pre-cut the chicken instead of shredding at the end but that's good, too!) I do almost always use chicken breast exclusively---and the recipe is very forgiving if you just use however much chicken you have in the fridge or freezer!
Spicy Chicken Stew
Salsa and chili powder add spice to this chicken stew, but probably not too much for timid tasters or kids. If you want to kick up the heat, use a hot salsa and a dash of hot sauce or ground red pepper.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 1101mg
- 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups)
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen sweet corn
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12.5 oz.) jar salsa
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, halved (about 1 lb.)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 oz.)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 (6 inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Place potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in slow cooker. Stir in salsa, salt, cumin, chile powder and pepper. Distribute chicken evenly on top of vegetables and pour chicken broth over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook stew on high for 4 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with two forks into bite-size chunks; return to slow cooker. Mix tortilla strips into stew. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews