This was an amazing sandwich. I didn't have egg substitute on hand so used a large egg. I will definitely make this again and soon.
Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayo
These reduced-fat chicken sandwiches feature chicken cutlets encrusted with tortilla chip crumbs, which yield a satisfying crunch. You can also use spicy chips for more heat.
More From Cooking Light
2 Hours, 27 Minutes
- Calories: 419
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 28.1g
- Carbohydrate: 46.8g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 611mg
- Calcium: 101mg
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 4 1/2 ounces baked tortilla chips (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Remaining ingredients:
- 4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls, split
- 12 (1/8-inch-thick) red onion slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1. To prepare mayo, combine the first 4 ingredients.
- 2. To prepare chicken, combine egg substitute, hot sauce, oregano, and salt in a large zip-top plastic bag. Cut chicken breast halves in half horizontally to form 4 cutlets. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours or up to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- 3. Place tortilla chips in a food processor; process 1 minute or until ground. Place ground chips in a shallow dish.
- 4. Working with one cutlet at a time, remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Coat chicken completely in chips. Set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and chips.
- 5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and done. Spread mayo evenly over cut sides of rolls. Layer bottom half of each roll with 3 onion slices, 1 lettuce leaf, and 1 chicken cutlet; top with top halves of rolls.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note