This is such a great dish and IF there are leftovers, heats up well. I use a whole rotisserie chicken shredded, chicken taco seasoning mix and double the cheese. It has a ton of spice so may want to serve on a night when you don't have a "too spicy" eater.
Spicy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This is my fiance's favorite recipe that I make for him. He loves spicy homemade Mexican food. I'm not sure if I ever make this dish the same way, but here is a good starting point and feel free to explore your own tastes! You may also decide to vary the amount of each ingredient to fit your fancy. Sometimes I end up with two pans by the time I'm done. You should make sure you have enough chicken though, in my opinion, as it is an important main ingredient. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 servings
Community Recipe from
- 2 1/2 - 3 cup(s) cooked chicken (I use canned) shredded
- 1 package(s) hot taco seasoning mix
- 1-2 jalapenos diced
- cooking spray
- 6-8 tortillas
- 1 can(s) pinto or black beans
- 1/2 jar(s) hot salsa
- 1 can(s) corn
- 1 cup(s) pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup(s) mexican cheese shredded
- 1-2 can(s) enchilada sauce
- 1-2 green onion diced
- red pepper flakes to taste
- dried habanero seasoning a pinch (optional)
- sour cream
- Combine chicken, taco seasoning, and jalapenos (i would use at least one) in a medium bowl. Spray cooking spray over 13 x 9 glass cooking dish (or baking pan). Layer bottom with two large tortillas, or enough to cover bottom of pan. Spread ingredients in layers (1) chicken mixture, (2) beans, (3) salsa, (4) corn, (5) pepper jack cheese, (6) mexican cheese, and (7) enchilada sauce. Repeat layers until you've used all your ingredients or run out of space. Finish top layer with cheese on top and season with green onion, red pepper flakes, and dried habanero seasoning. I think our habanero seasoning came from my fiance's family garden. It's hot as hell! Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Layers should be heated through. I like to put sour cream on top when I dish it up, but I have also layered it inside with everything else. It helps to put out some of the fire if you get carried away! A cold beer to wash everything down also works nice. Corona if you really want to get Mexican.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by KatieMSpehar and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note