I've made this many, many times, always very happy with the results. I have always used ground chicken for the convenience. My cajun seasoning has salt in it, so I do not add the additional 1/4 tsp. Also, have always used green onion over chives since I rarely have chives on hand. Love this recipe. The cakes are always very "wet" when they go into the pan but they always take shape when cooking. I use all the breadcrumbs instead of measuring to 1 cup, though I doubt it is much more than a cup anyway.
Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli
Dish up this tasty variation on the classic crab cake in less than 40 minutes. The aioli (ay-OH-lee) topping is a garlic mayonnaise from the Provence region in France and a popular condiment there for meat and vegetables. It can be made in advance and refrigerated.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 242
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 29.5g
- Carbohydrate: 12.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 749mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 2 (1 1/2-ounce) slices whole wheat bread
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- To prepare cakes, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup (discard remaining breadcrumbs). Set breadcrumbs aside.
- Place chicken in food processor; pulse until ground. Combine chicken, chives, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl; mix well (mixture will be wet). Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties; cook 7 minutes on each side or until done.
- To prepare aioli, combine 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with cakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note