Spicy Catfish with Vegetables and Basil Cream
This recipe, developed by our Test Kitchens, shows the versatility and creativity of sautéing.
More From Southern Living
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 4 (6- to 8-ounce) catfish fillets
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, and peppers; sauté 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in salt and pepper; spoon onto serving dish, and keep warm.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, and Creole seasoning in a large shallow dish. Dip fillets in buttermilk, and dredge in flour mixture.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter with oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook fillets, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove and arrange over vegetables.
- Add cream to skillet, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Add chopped basil, and cook, stirring often, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve sauce with fillets and vegetables. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note