I roasted the sprouts instead of boiliing to give them more flavor. Excellent side dish!
Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Fried Capers
Add Mediterranean flair to Brussels sprouts with capers, garlic, anchovy, and red chile flakes. If you’re not an anchovy fan, just leave them out. The dish will still have plenty of flavor.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 133
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 3.9g
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sodium: 461mg
- Cholesterol: 0.8mg
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup drained brined capers
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. red chile flakes
- 1/2 lemon
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts and cook just until tender and bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, blot capers on a paper towel. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add capers and cook, stirring carefully (mixture will splatter), until capers start to open and are brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer capers to a paper towel to drain.
- 3. Add garlic and anchovies to pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add brussels sprouts and chile flakes and stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with capers and a squeeze of lemon.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note