- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeño chilies (about 3/4 oz. each)
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 strips (1/2 by 3 in.) lime peel (green part only)
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (3/4 lb.)
- 2/3 cup diced Roma tomatoes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- calories 142
- caloriesfromfat 62 %
- protein 9.4 g
- fat 9.8 g
- satfat 1.6 g
- carbohydrate 6 g
- fiber 1.4 g
- sodium 83 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Rinse chilies and cut in half lengthwise. Place 2 chili halves, broth, and lime peel in a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Taste broth and, if desired, add more chili and simmer, covered, 5 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, pit and peel avocado. Cut lengthwise into thin slices or into 1/2-inch cubes. Arrange equal portions of avocado and tomatoes in each of 4 wide, shallow bowls.
With a slotted spoon, lift chili and lime peel from broth and discard. Stir lime juice into broth. Gently ladle broth around avocado and tomatoes in bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Add salt to taste.