- 3 1/2 pounds bone-in pork shoulder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces pearl onions, peeled (see note above), or 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 drained canned chipotle or jalapeño chilies
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- calories 365
- caloriesfromfat 64 %
- protein 25 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 8.8 g
- carbohydrate 7.2 g
- fiber 0.7 g
- sodium 249 mg
- cholesterol 100 mg
How to Make It
Rinse pork and pat dry. Sprinkle all over with salt and pepper. Place in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or other heavy pan with a lid. Add tomatoes, onions, chilies, and garlic.
Cover and bake in a 250° regular or convection oven until meat is very tender when pierced with a fork, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. After the first 2 1/2 hours, check every half hour; if mixture appears dry, add 1/2 cup water to pan.
With two large forks, pull meat from bone into large chunks. Transfer pork to a serving platter. Pour pan juices into a bowl to spoon over pork.