The broth in this recipe was excellent. I used canned tomatoes instead of fresh and it still tasted fine. Will make again.
Spicy Braised Clams with Sausage and Corn
Briny littleneck clams are balanced with spicy jalapeño peppers and sweet summer corn in this delightful summer stew. Serve with a tossed green salad and crusty French bread.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 7 clams, 3/4 cup sausage mixture, and 3/4 teaspoon basil)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 20.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 9mg
- Sodium: 516mg
- Calcium: 51mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces turkey Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chopped fresh plum tomato (about 4 tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 1/2 pounds littleneck clams
- 1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add garlic and jalapeño; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomato, oregano, 1 tablespoon basil, salt, and black pepper; bring mixture to a simmer. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn; cover and cook 2 minutes.
- 2. Increase heat to medium-high; stir in clams. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until clams open; discard any unopened shells. Divide mixture evenly among 4 bowls; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note