- 3 pounds pan-dressed freshwater perch
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Rind of 1 lemon, cut into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Lemon slices
- Clarified butter
How to Make It
Rinse fish thoroughly in cold water; pat dry, and set aside.
Combine next 9 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, 10 minutes. Place fish in Dutch oven. (Add additional hot water, if
necessary, to cover fish with liquid.) Simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Carefully remove fish from liquid; drain. Discard cooking liquid. Arrange fish on a warm, parsley-lined serving platter. Garnish with lemon slices. Serve with clarified butter.