This was good and super easy via the crockpot. Like most soups, it was better in subsequent days. I felt it tasted more like a vegetable soup than bean, but I was ok with that. I did not find it spicy at all, so if you are looking for spice, you might want to add something else.
Spicy Black-and-Red Bean Soup
To use a slow cooker, combine everything in the pot, and cook on HIGH for the first hour; then turn the temperature down to LOW, and cook 7 more hours.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 5%
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30.8g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 374mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups sliced carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen shoepeg white corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can red beans or kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeño peppers and spices, undrained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note